#

1826 Town Plan of Banff

1826 Town Plan of Banff

Ref No: BPHS/1000/76

1826 Town Plan of Banff, surveyed by Alexander Irvine Ross.

Return to Collection page

The 1826 map of Banff is coloured and includes many details of the town, including who owned parts of the town, at the time. Large areas of Banff were owned by the Earl of Seafield but areas were owned by organisations such as the "Gardeners Society" and "St John’s Lodge" At this time Banff is almost two separate towns – the Sea town, the area from St. Catherine Street North and the rest of the town, covering Low Street, High Street and the surrounding area. It stops short of Duff House and its grounds. This can be compared in the museum with a 1756 plan of the town and an 1823 map, by John Wood. These maps were produced by independent map makers or land surveyors, before the days of the Ordnance Survey.

The 1826 map was created by Alexander Irvine Ross, a land surveyor from Mains of Tyrie. He was involved in the production of a series of maps created by James Robertson (1783 – 1879) of the shires of Aberdeenshire, Banff and Kincardine in 1822.